National Grandparent's Day & Gift Guide 2018
Grandparent’s Day September 9th, 2018
Grandparents provide children with a unique relationship. They can serve as a mentor and confidant, show unconditional love, exhibit wisdome and be a beacon of strength. Grandparents can offer a different perspective to the world and expose children to various lessons of life. They are also someone who can offer a glimpse into their parent’s childhood as well as family traditions.
According to legacyproject.org, “National Grandparents Day falls each year on the first Sunday after Labor Day. It's not a holiday invented to sell cards and flowers. It was initiated at the grassroots level by West Virginian Marian Lucille Herndon McQuade, with the behind-the-scenes support of her husband Joseph L. McQuade. They had 15 children, 43 grandchildren, 10 great-grandchildren, and one great-great-grandchild. After being married for over 60 years, Mr. McQuade passed away in 2001. Mrs. McQuade passed away in 2008.”
3 Reasons for National Grandparents Day:
1. To honor grandparents.
2. To let grandparents love their children's children.
3. To teach children the importance of the wisdom & strength of elderly individuals
If your child has the opportunity to build relationships with their grandparents, they are truly fortunate. I am thankful my children have a relationship with their grandparents and they are active in their life. This was not something I was able to experience as a child.
Here some ideas to help celebrate these special individuals, helping raise (and spoil) our children:
1. A special meal (either prepared at home with the help of the children or out to a restaurant)
2. A fun outing (a tea-house, family theatre, movies, pier, fair etc.)
3. Handmade gifts from the kids (painting, jewelry, ceramic decorations painted etc.)
4. Printed pictures of the kids or family
5. Make sure to commemorate the day and send them pictures!
Gift Buying Guide:
Wondering what to get that special grandma or grandpa in your child's life? Here are a few thoughtful gifts to honor them:
Thoughtful, homemade, & custom made gifts: